The Manchester Environmental Research Institute unites knowledge and expertise from across The University of Manchester to address the environmental challenges we face today.
To conquer modern day challenges in a competitive funding landscape, researchers need to work across disciplines and across borders. MERI will lead the way in inter-disciplinary environment-focussed research which puts us in an ideal position to solve the environmental challenges the world faces.Professor Hugh Coe / Director of MERI
We develop, foster and promote multi- and inter-disciplinary environmental research by bringing together academics from science, engineering, health, social sciences and humanities.
MERI was established in 2018 to bring together our academics to provide evidence and solutions for the challenges of our changing environment. Our research helps to address the subsequent effects of environmental change on healthcare, food security, water resources and energy production.
How we can help you
- Our research projects solve complex local, regional and global environmental problems which attracts external funding
- We enable research leaders to build multi-disciplinary teams from across the University to deliver successful funding bids
- We facilitate and coordinate the application of large grants and awards to secure research funding to grow the community and enhance research development
Community-building and networking
- We work across the University to develop and connect the environmental research community
- We create an environment where discrete disciplines can share knowledge and increase research productivity
- We provide a gateway to the environmental expertise within the University and enable engagement
- We help link researchers working in similar research areas for knowledge creation and dissemination
Communication and promotion
- We enhance the impact of University research by championing ongoing environmental research
- We promote activities internally and externally
- We raise awareness of the expertise, capability and facilities within the University
- We maximise the value of Institute members’ research through engagement, events and promotion
- We build a local, national and international profile for the Institute, its members and The University of Manchester
Find out more about the people who make up MERI.
See our people
Find out more about our research and the goings-on at MERI.
Read the latest news